Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.
On May 5, 6, and 7th the children I keep in my home daycare and I will be working on crafts for our dear Mothers! I am so excited to share with the children the joy of Mothers Day. I can remember being little and going to school and how exciting it was to be able to give my mommy a special little made craft for Mothers Day. And it was even more special b/c I made it! So I have dedicated three days the week before Mothers Day to share with these little ones how special Mothers Day is with lots of fun little crafts... Our family lives on a budget and I found these great cheap Mothers Day craft ideas from http://www.mothersdaycelebration.com/mothers-day-crafts.html
I wanted to share with you what our three craft days hold....
Wednesday: Butterfly Card for Mommy!
- Construction paper
- Hole punch
- Glue stick
- Markers or crayons
- Optional: Glitter glue or glitter
1. Fold two pieces of construction paper in half, making two card shapes.
2. Put the two folded cards together (one inside the other).
3. Along the fold of one of them, draw half a butterfly.
4. Keeping the two cards together, cut along the line you just drew. You will now have two butterflies.
5. On only one of the butterflies, fold it in half again and draw a smaller butterfly within it.
6. Cut along the line you just drew.
7. Using the hole punch, make a series of holes along the edges of the two pieces you just cut.
8. Glue one of these pieces onto the larger, uncut butterfly.
9. Flip the large butterfly over, and glue on the other cut piece.
10. Cut a black or brown body for your butterfly. Glue it onto the inside of your butterfly.
11. You now have a nice butterfly card. Write a message on your card.
12. Optional: Decorate your butterfly with crayons, markers, glitter glue, or glitter.
Thursday: Tissue Paper Flowers Craft for Mother Day
These flowers are made from folded tissue paper (crepe paper). You can make an entire bouquet of them for a great gift or decoration.
- Tissue paper (crepe paper)
- Green pipe cleaners (or twist ties)
1. Cut a few pieces (about 4-6) of tissue paper (crepe paper) about 8 x 10 inches (the exact size doesn't matter).
2. Put the paper in a pile and fold it like an accordion.
3. Tie the center of the folded paper with a green pipe cleaner (or twist tie).
4. Gently pull each piece of paper towards the top center of the flower, separating each sheet of paper from the others (forming the petals of the flower).
Friday Bouquet in Hand Craft
This is a simple hand craft item which can really create a good piece with the use of paint, markers or construction paper.
Light-colored construction paper for the background
Skin colored construction paper for hand
- Cut the skin-colored paper in hand shape.
- In another piece of paper, glue the palm of the hand to the lower left part of the paper.
- Using colors draw the stems of the flowers. Start each stem on the hand and have it go towards the center of the paper.
- Stick the fingertips of the paper onto the palm and the stems of the flowers (to show as flowers are held in the hand).
- Draw flowers and leaves on the stems. Flowers made from colorful construction paper can also be stick upon.
- A special Mothers Day bouquet is ready.
I hope you all have a great Mothers Day and enjoy doing crafts with your wee ones as well!